A taste of summer!
Makes 1 litre
500 ml Church Farm Whole Milk
300ml double cream
1 vanilla pod
5 large egg yolks
140g caster sugar
1. Put milk and cream into a saucepan.
2. Split vanilla pod length ways. Scrape out seeds and add to milk mixture together with pod. Alternatively a splash of vanilla essence.
3. Heat slowly over a low heat, stirring occasionally, until almost boiling. Remove from heat when a few bubbles appear at edge of pan.
4. Allow vanilla to infuse for 30 mins.
5. Mix egg yolks and sugar together in a bowl.
6. Gradually add milk mixture, whisking continuously.
7. Pour everything into a clean saucepan and return to a low heat for 8 - 10 mins. Stirring continuously with a wooden spoon.
8. The custard should be thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Do not allow to boil – the eggs will scramble!!
9. Pour custard through a fine sieve into another bowl. Sit the bowl into a bigger bowl, 1 third of full of ice and water, to cool it down, stirring occasionally.
10. Make sure it is completely cold then spoon into ice cream maker. Follow manufacturer’s instructions.
11. If you don’t have an Ice cream maker pour custard into freezer
container, stirring every 2 – 3 hrs until set. Once softly set beat with electric hand mixer and freeze until solid.
12. Remove from freezer 15 mins. before serving.
13. Serve with fresh strawberries and raspberries – enjoy!!!!!